There are at least as many contractor horror stories as there are lawyer and real estate horror stories.
My next podcast guest, Alfred Navarro of Navarro Construction says choosing a good contractor is much like choosing a good marriage. If you make a bad choice, your life will be unpleasant!!
In this conversation Alfred and I continue a long conversation we had over the weekend- what questions should you ask to weed out the baddies and where can you go to research the facts? This guy is a wealth of knowledge and definitely someone I would want in my corner!!
How to choose the right contractor:
- Get referrals from friends family and neighbors (hint- call DIGGS!! We keep a running list of vendors we like)
- Ask for and CALL their references
- Check their contractor license number- is it valid? Is it for the type of work you want? Are there any complaints or violations?
- What questions should you ask a contractor before you hire them?
- Who will be onsite?
- How often will the supervisor visit the site?
- Will you have people working every day? What hours?
- What is your expected payment schedule?
- The best way to compel performance is to set your payment schedule to completion of specific milestones
- Who are your sub contractors?
- How long have you worked with them and are they licensed?
- How many jobs do they take at one time?
- What is their specialty? If you are remodeling a kitchen, are they kitchen specialist?
- Beware the lowest bidder
- Pick a contractor that you like- you are going to be spending a lot of time with them. Who do you want in your home every day?